Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 09 Feb 2011 (Wednesday) 02:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ThinkTankPhoto Bag-off: Sling-o-matic 30 vs Urban Disguise 60

LostInInaka
500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 09, 2011 02:03 |  #1

Since I am having a hell of a time making a decision, I thought I would throw the question out there: which would be better (or are they both similar except for the carrying style) with the following considerations:

should be able to fit a 7D gripped with RSS L-plate (would prefer to be able to keep a lens attached) and a 17" MacBook Pro (and of course other stuff as well)

After looking at reviews and pictures it seems that both of these will fit in either bag, but I'd like to hear from people who have either or both and their thoughts about which they like better and why?

Also, unfortunately for me I can't go down to the local camera shop and try them out myself to see which fits best for me as the camera shops around here in Northern Japan don't have such big selections and ThinkTanks in these models are hard to come buy (hell almost any model of TTP is hard to come by)

Your comments, suggestions, or even alternatives are appreciated!

5DmkIII | Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 | Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L mk II | Canon 24mm f/1.4L mk II | Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L mk II | Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS mk II | + Misc
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
LostInInaka
THREAD ­ STARTER
500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 09, 2011 02:04 |  #2

ooops damn it! meant the urban disguise 60!

fixed the title!

5DmkIII | Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 | Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L mk II | Canon 24mm f/1.4L mk II | Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L mk II | Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS mk II | + Misc
flickr (external link)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 09, 2011 07:29 |  #3

I have the UD50 and it's my most used travel on an airplane bag. TT are expensive, but they are so well made and sturdy. Good luck. Sounds like a great trip.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Smurff
332 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 09, 2011 07:43 |  #4

i cant really help, but i have a TT Sling-o-matic 20 so its a bit smaller then the 30. in that i can fit my 7d gripped with a 70-200Lf2.8 on. also i can fit a 2x teleconverter, my 10-20mm sigma and my 17-50mm sigma, a 430exII flash, charger, batterys, wireless trigers, filter, manuals and other small odds and ends.
i would not be able to fit an L plate on my 7d in the 20, but should be possible in the 30.

so looking at teh size of the 30, should fit plenty of gear in it and the advantage of the laptop aswell. just remember when carrying the laptop, you also need space for your charger and any other bits you might take for that aswell.

i do love my Sling-o-matic 20, build is awesome, i would say that same quaility is in the Urban Disguise 60, so thats a win either way.

sorry i couldnt be of better help, but hope it helps a tad :)

-Smurff

LostInInaka
THREAD ­ STARTER
500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 09, 2011 16:50 |  #5

Hmmm thanks you 2 for the info....alas the decision isn't made any easier

But it is great to hear that the 7d gripped fits in to the 20 just fine...that was my main concern...do you by chance use an l bracket as well?

flickr (external link)

Sglshotkw
135 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 09, 2011 18:03 as a reply to  @ LostInInaka's post |  #6

I have the UD 60 and used it on a trip to NYC. Great bag but can get heavy when loaded heavy which is what I tend to do :D

I was using a 40D with grip and RRS l bracket attached, for lens I would keep the 70-200mm attached and had a 50mm f1.8 and a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 stacked, a 550ez flash, extra batteries, charger, and other odds and ends.

Not sure if the 17 mac will fit our not I had a 16" Acer that went in mine and when they were all in there you had to put some strength into closing the zipper for the camera department but it fit. But all day carrying it was a real pain :( and I'm not a small fellow :D

I was playing with the sling o matic 30 today and not sure I like that either, looking at a TTP streetwalker pro but that does not have a laptop spot but the Streetwalker HardDrive does and it looks like it might just right.

Good luck with your choice

Kirk

XxDJCyberLoverxX
Goldmember
1,139 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 09, 2011 21:03 |  #7

I just sold my UD 60 (version 1) on the forums here. That bag is great: it has a lot of space for multiple cameras, lenses, and a laptop; however, the only thing it doesn't have space for is a gripped body, unless you are talking about the V2.

I would've kept that bag if it could COMFORTABLY take a gripped body. I mean, it "can" fit a gripped body, but it will be very snug. You might even have to make space compromises in other compartments. If you are going with the UD60, I would suggest getting the V2 for your needs.

I just bought myself the UD40 V2 (kind of a downgrade I know). It fits MY needs better since I need a smaller bag to walk around town/events comfortably, and it does a great job taking in gripped bodies due to the expansion zipper.

I don't have any experience with the sling o matic though. I had the Incase DSLR Sling a while back, but realized slings arent for me.

Daniel
Sony a7 / Sony a7s / FE 24-70mm / FE 28mm F/2 / Samyang 135mm
Nebula 4000 Lite / Manfrotto 190cx
POTN Feedback / My Work! (external link)

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 09, 2011 23:11 |  #8

http://www.benjacobsen​photo.com …ing-o-matic-video-review/ (external link)

get the sling, but convert it to a backpack (like I show in that video) if you're going to have any significant weight in it. :)

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

LostInInaka
THREAD ­ STARTER
500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 12, 2011 00:56 |  #9

Daniel: is the V2 that much larger that the gripped body fits much better?

Ben: thanks for the review Ben definitely very helpful!

sigh...still can't make up my mind though...might just have to get both...

flickr (external link)

XxDJCyberLoverxX
Goldmember
1,139 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 13, 2011 03:35 |  #10

LostInInaka wrote in post #11826763 (external link)
Daniel: is the V2 that much larger that the gripped body fits much better?

Ben: thanks for the review Ben definitely very helpful!

sigh...still can't make up my mind though...might just have to get both...

I bought the UD40 version 2, which is actually smaller than my previous UD60, BUT what the version 2 has is an expansion zipper for gripped bodies. If I would've bought the UD40, it wouldn't have been able to fit a gripped body either.

The UD40 version 2 can't fit as many lenses/accessories as my previous UD60 (smaller size), but I don't have too many lenses to begin with and I need a bag that is smaller for every day use.

I can do a comfortable 1 gripped body+lens, 2 extra lenses, flash, and accessories in my UD40 V2. I don't need to carry all of my gear and a laptop with me every where I go.

Daniel

andrewjy
38 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 15, 2011 06:58 |  #11

I currently have an Urban Disguise 40, version 1, from before, and a 1DIV with a 70-200/2.8 (hood reversed) doesn't really fit. Question: does the Urban Disguise 60, version 1 or version 2, fit this set up, with or without ouse use of the expansion zipper? It seem that the UD40 v2 would fit this, with use of the expansion zipper

XxDJCyberLoverxX
Goldmember
1,139 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 16, 2011 21:02 |  #12

andrewjy wrote in post #11846544 (external link)
I currently have an Urban Disguise 40, version 1, from before, and a 1DIV with a 70-200/2.8 (hood reversed) doesn't really fit. Question: does the Urban Disguise 60, version 1 or version 2, fit this set up, with or without ouse use of the expansion zipper? It seem that the UD40 v2 would fit this, with use of the expansion zipper

I don't have a 1 series body, but my gripped 40D did have a hard time fitting in my UD60 v1. That is WITHOUT a laptop in there. You may have some luck if you have a smaller laptop and attached the 70-200, so there will be a difference in height and nothing will hit.

Daniel

LostInInaka
THREAD ­ STARTER
500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 17, 2011 08:21 |  #13

probably wil pick up the v2 for work next month (and then later get the sling for travel)

will do a review on it then after I've used it for a bit

flickr (external link)

eelnoraa
Goldmember
1,798 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 17, 2011 15:00 |  #14

andrewjy wrote in post #11846544 (external link)

Basically, UD60 is wider and taller than UD40, true for either V1 or V2.

V1 is thiner and without expansion zipper, it will fit non-gripped xxD/7D/5D or gripped xxxD with lens attached comfortably. But pro body or grippeed xxD/7D/5D will not. V2 has expansion zipper to make it thicker, so the pro body will go in with lens attached.

In your case, if you want to have 1DIV with lens attached, V2 is what you want, that is with expansion zipper openned.

5Di, 5Diii, 28, 50, 85, 16-35II, 24-105, 70-200F2.8 IS

sponsored links

3,850 views & 0 likes for this thread
ThinkTankPhoto Bag-off: Sling-o-matic 30 vs Urban Disguise 60
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.