Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Feb 2011 (Thursday) 18:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How would you light a fitness shoot with speedlights?

Lyle ­ Krannichfeld
397 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 10, 2011 18:12 |  #1

Looking for hard, dramatic lighting to emphasize muscle tone. Post processing will most likely be going the route of gritty black and whites.

Equipment: 3 speedlights, stands, umbrellas, various Honl grids, etc...basically a thorough strobist setup with some add-ons...I'm open to buying additional gear (that fits into my speedlight setup).

Thoughts? Thanks for the discussion, I'm just trying to brainstorm and get the ball rolling.

I was thinking gridded lights behind on either side for rim lighting, then a third light up high camera left, also gridded. That's assuming I don't purchase any more gear.

Lyle

Fine Art Landscape/Wildlife Photographer on Maui: INSTAGRAM (external link) FACEBOOK (external link)
Tonga tours to swim with the Humpbacks: AUMAKUA TOURS (external link)
Sony A7R III, 12-24G, 16-35GM, 50 1.4ZA, 85 1.4GM
DJI Inspire 2 with X7 and 16, 24, 35, 50

sponsored links
JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,706 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 10, 2011 18:16 |  #2

I picture a really hard contrasty and grungy light with lots of sweat glinting on the skin... but of course, thats just me.

Shane
flickr (external link)

Lyle ­ Krannichfeld
THREAD ­ STARTER
397 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 10, 2011 18:20 |  #3

Yeah, that's what I'm shooting for, definitely...I guess I wasn't too clear, I'm wondering how you would light it...light positions and modifiers, specifically.

Most of the shots will be full body, with some 3/4...

Fine Art Landscape/Wildlife Photographer on Maui: INSTAGRAM (external link) FACEBOOK (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,461 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 10, 2011 20:48 |  #4

Maybe bare speedlites from sides as rim lights. One as a main.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 10, 2011 20:56 |  #5

Why not check out some fitness / muscle mags or websites and look at the photos, and get a feel for how they lit them?

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

Lyle ­ Krannichfeld
THREAD ­ STARTER
397 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 10, 2011 21:04 |  #6

I've found lots of examples, I'm just really hoping somebody will say something to the effect of: "Oh, I just used a Speedlight Pro Kit 6 as the modifier for the main light and it was perfect, etc etc"...guess I just need to play around with the stuff in the studio.

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 10, 2011 21:11 |  #7

Oh yeah, doubt you'll find much specific info on lighting an interior fitness shoot.. You checked the strobist group on flickr? Maybe check flickr in general and if you find a good one, contact the photographer.

Share some of your examples, maybe our collective brains can figure them out. I alway enjoy deconstructing lighting setups.

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

sponsored links

4,725 views & 0 likes for this thread
How would you light a fitness shoot with speedlights?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.