Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 10 Feb 2011 (Thursday) 21:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Columbus Blue Jackets vs San Jose Sharks

malibubts
224 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 10, 2011 21:29 |  #1

Shot my first professional sporting event last night for The Lantern! The Blue Jackts lost an early 2 point lead and lost 3-2. Any C&C would be much appreciated.

1)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

2)
IMAGE NOT FOUND

3)
IMAGE NOT FOUND

4)
IMAGE NOT FOUND

5D MkII, Rebel XTi
Canon 300mm /4, Sigma 70-200mm /2.8, Canon 50mm /1.8, Rokinon 14mm /2.8
PhotoEric (external link)

sponsored links
figo
702 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 10, 2011 23:20 |  #2

Great shots!

Canon 1D MKIV, 1D MKIII, Canon 70-200 f2.8, Canon 400 f2.8, Canon 16-35mm f2.8.

sticknpuck
205 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 11, 2011 00:24 |  #3

Nice! What kind of access do you get to shoot? Through those little holes in the glass or are you able to get on the benches?

Matt
flickr (external link)

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,884 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 11, 2011 08:21 |  #4

very nicely done all around. you might bump exposure another 1/3 to get that ice really white but if I'm your editor, I'm not complaining.

Scott Evans Photography (external link)
SportsShooterProfile (external link) l MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

malibubts
THREAD ­ STARTER
224 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 11, 2011 09:09 |  #5

Stick I was at a photo hole a little past the blue line closer to the goal. Wasn't the best spot because you didn't get any really good angles for the shots on goal, but it wasn't bad. My access for Ohio State games is better since there are less people covering it, I can get to the benches then. And namasste I actually used the recovery in Lightroom to bring down the exposure on the ice, so I'll try a little less recovery.

5D MkII, Rebel XTi
Canon 300mm /4, Sigma 70-200mm /2.8, Canon 50mm /1.8, Rokinon 14mm /2.8
PhotoEric (external link)

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,884 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 11, 2011 09:14 |  #6

malibubts wrote in post #11821945 (external link)
And namasste I actually used the recovery in Lightroom to bring down the exposure on the ice, so I'll try a little less recovery.

in the end, you and your editor are the ones that need to be happy with them. as I mentioned, they are very nice captures and my comment is just how my eyes see them.

Gear List

AZAlphaDog
Goldmember
1,750 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 11, 2011 11:44 as a reply to  @ namasste's post |  #7

I think they are a tiny bit underexposed as well, but having said that and as little as I know about shooting hockey, I will say:

Shooting hockey is one of the most difficult sports to cover, and to do it well is even harder!

Just my opinion: shots without the puck have to be off the charts cool or story-telling to be usable, "no puck, no face - no use"

A lot of stuff happens on the ice, and happens very fast, try and slow down or freeze the action and compress it into a single moment or frame (tough to do, but worth a try)

You shouldn't care what the score is [period] you should be objective and tell the story of the game, who were the key players, what were the key plays, what was the turning point of the game, did the entire game hinge on the goalie, or one key play . . .

I don't know if that makes any sense to you, but if you are shooting for a paper you should be looking for that one single image that tells the story of the entire game in a bold and iconic way because that is the one single image that will run on the front page.

DOUG JAMES | PHOTO PRODUCTIONS (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link)

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,884 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 11, 2011 14:03 |  #8

for what its worth, when I shoot hockey, I spot meter some scraped up ice in av mode and get a base setting. Then I use that base, switch to manual, overexpose the base by roughly 1-2 stops and bingo..bright white ice and well exposed players. If I need more shutter, I just dial in some added ISO and then bump the shutter accordingly.

here's a sample of the result..(ambient 1/500th, 1600 ISO, f2.8)

IMAGE: http://www.sephotos.net/img/s7/v8/p634675284-5.jpg

Gear List

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,084 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 11, 2011 14:08 |  #9

for somebody with his hands truly full with other things I must admit ... ya still got it!!!

Great work Scott. Exposure, WB, color and focus. All pretty much nailed.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,884 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 11, 2011 14:19 |  #10

snyderman wrote in post #11823759 (external link)
for somebody with his hands truly full with other things I must admit ... ya still got it!!!

Great work Scott. Exposure, WB, color and focus. All pretty much nailed.

dave

thanks Dave, now if I can only figure out what all those buttons are for! :lol: Hope you've been well and that we cross paths sometime soon.

Gear List

DHMN
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 11, 2011 14:53 |  #11

I actually like shot #2, without the puck.. the goaltender trying to see through Couture... probably on the powerplay.. one of my better shots all year was two girls sparring in front of the goaltender with her peering out the side trying to see

EOS 7D Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (1.4 extender outdoors) are the workhorses. 50D for backup, EF 70-300MM USM f/4-5.6 IS, Freelance photographer for local newspapers and my website viewthroughmylens.net (external link)

VegasBoz
372 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 11, 2011 16:11 as a reply to  @ DHMN's post |  #12

#2 and #4 for me!

I've been trying to learn hockey shots as well since I now have a season media pass to shoot our local LV Wranglers play. (I'm giddy every time I shoot... I love hockey and have been a season ticket holder for 5 years now).

I'm still a newb at this, but I'd love to see a tight crop on #4 to get an up-close representation of the effort and toughness these guys have.

Your pics are super sharp too! I'm a bit jealous you got to shoot an NHL game...but one day maybe I'll get lucky.

DHMN
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 11, 2011 17:49 |  #13

I think the tight crop idea on #4 may work.. but some people also feel as the stick is an extension of the body part and shouldn't be cropped, just like arms and legs.

EOS 7D Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (1.4 extender outdoors) are the workhorses. 50D for backup, EF 70-300MM USM f/4-5.6 IS, Freelance photographer for local newspapers and my website viewthroughmylens.net (external link)

dmwierz
Goldmember
2,376 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 11, 2011 18:27 |  #14

1 & 4 show the most tension and are my favorites of the lot. In general, getting the puck is important, but if the action is good enough (big check, fights, etc.) shots without the pucks can also be keepers.

http://www.denniswierz​bicki.com (external link)
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/dmwierz (external link)

Dennis "
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand."

Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 11, 2011 18:33 |  #15

Nice shots but you need more focus on the Sharks. Go SHARRRRRRKS!!!

Oh yeah, bump your exposure a little. The ice is tricky.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

sponsored links

3,305 views & 0 likes for this thread
Columbus Blue Jackets vs San Jose Sharks
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.