Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 12 Feb 2011 (Saturday) 18:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Trial ended for lightroom with projects not exported. How to get them back?

qwerty11
51 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 12, 2011 18:27 |  #1

So I had a trial with lightroom, but decided to go with aperture. I had several hundred photos which had been edited in lightroom that i never exported back out. The trial for lighroom is over. Is there anyway I can retrieve these photos with the edits?

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 12, 2011 21:53 |  #2

Hmm -- unless Aperture has an "Import from Lightroom" function, not without a working copy of Lightroom. If you have a friend who has Lightroom you can copy the latest backup onto a portable hard drive and you could open it using your friend's app.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,849 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 12, 2011 22:21 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #3

try to install another trial copy. most likely that will not work...but it worth a shot.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,483 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 13, 2011 03:31 |  #4

Adobe's policy with free trials is that with each new "dot release" (every three months) you can have another trial. So wait for 3.4 to be released, which I think should be at the end of March / beginning of April.

Edit: I just checked and 3.3 was released on 7 Dec. (and 3.3 RC on 25 Oct.) so 3.4 should be along before too long.

Elie / אלי

MrAl
282 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 13, 2011 11:31 as a reply to  @ tzalman's post |  #5

I'm fairly sure this doesn't work anymore but did years ago with PS. I'm pretty sure Adobe has fixed this oversight. It doesn't cost anything and only takes a sec. to try. Change your computers date back. If it works great, if not just remember to reset the date back to normal. Lightroom is a great investment for the price. Good luck.

Clark
559 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 13, 2011 11:54 |  #6

Not sure if this against any policies or not, but could you install a trial on a different machine and bring them in there to export them?

Um... Hi

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 13, 2011 13:46 |  #7

tzalman wrote in post #11832959 (external link)
Adobe's policy with free trials is that with each new "dot release" (every three months) you can have another trial.

If that's the case, then perhaps installing a trial version of 3.0, 3.1, or 3.2 would work.

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

othomas
531 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 13, 2011 15:38 |  #8

If you do get LR up and running then save out the metadata to .xmp files these can be read by other applications.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 13, 2011 15:51 |  #9

Well, Adobe apps can read it, but most of the metadata is Adobe-only. Maybe an app like Aperture can pick up a few things (keywords?) -- I think I've heard of something like that, but no go on the editing metadata.

Qwerty, if you need files that will have your edits applied for the "outside world" you'll need to export the files to a tiff/psd/jpeg. Otherwise you'll need a long-term relationship with Lightroom, Photoshop, whatever!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

scottda
462 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 13, 2011 17:45 |  #10

Clark wrote in post #11834696 (external link)
Not sure if this against any policies or not, but could you install a trial on a different machine and bring them in there to export them?

This should work if you have access to another computer.
Scott

flickr (external link)
2x Panasonic Lumix GX8 | Panasonic Lumix LX100
AF: Lumix G Vario 7-14 f4 | Lumix G Vario 14-140 f3.5-5.6 | Lumix G Vario 100-300 f4-5.6 II | Lumix G 20 f1.7 | Lumix G 42.5 f1.7 | Olympus 75 f1.8
MF: S-M-C Takumar 50 f1.4

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,071 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 13, 2011 21:33 |  #11

Any RAW files are all on the computer, even if the LR trial period is over. At the very minimum, you only need to open the Aperture program and import existing files from your specified location.
So postprocessing would need to be done over again with Aperture, but the camera-created files will not have been lost.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

3,126 views & 0 likes for this thread
Trial ended for lightroom with projects not exported. How to get them back?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.